Monday, July 23, 2012

Poster Comps: The Cherry Orchard, Anton Chekhov

First run-throughs for my Anton Chekhov poster series.

#1: The Cherry Orchard

My concept deals with counterpointing nostalgia with darkness and grittiness. I wanted the poster to look like a paper cutout illustration circo 1960 / 70. Even though the play "takes place" at the turn of the 1900's, I feel like 60's and 70's imagery is more nostalgic for modern audiences.


And for your viewing pleasure, here's how I go about it.


1-A way-too-fast, half-assed sketch



2-Me spending a bajillion hours trying to make shapes from my sketch using the pen tool in Adobe Illustrator


3-And finally a few ideas that are still FAR from being done, but probably one of these will probably end up being the final. As you can see, I'm moving away from the centered-saw composition in light of something a bit more dynamic.



UPDATES TO COME. 


No comments:

Post a Comment