Saturday, April 28, 2012

Hiroshima Mon Amour

Hiroshima Mon Amour (1959), directed by Alain Resnais, is my personal favorite of ALL of the proto-New-Wave films, and I also might say, of all movies ever.

Although the film takes place after the bombings, I felt like the image of nuclear war was a strong metaphor for the experiences and mental suffering the main character goes through. The film is intensely emotional and psychological, and I wanted a visual catharsis in the poster that reflected the emotional chaos and trauma that is dealt with in the film.

The explosions were made with acrylic, charcoal, white chalk, and Photoshop (posters made on InDesign).

This quote/mini-monologue by the main character (in the book) sums up the general sentiment of the whole film: “I meet you. I remember you. Who are you? You’re destroying me. You’re good for me...I like you. How unlikely. I like you. How slow all of a sudden. How sweet. You cannot know. You’re destroying me. You’re good for me. You’re destroying me. You’re good for me. I have time. Please, devour me. Deform me to the point of ugliness. Why not you?”





1 comment: